- subsidies to favoured companies, NGOs, and local 'governments'
- constant encroachments on local sovereignty
- expanding the size of the central bureaucracy
- furthering of its favoured agendas (climate change, green regulation, political union)
- political cronyism (national politicians that toe the line are rewarded with well-funded EU jobs)
From the ground up it is a body that is staffed by a patrician class that believes democracy is an impediment to its grand visions and views local democracy as intrinsically suspect. It has co-opted politicians from 'left' and 'right', as if those fictions are still meaningful categories.
The recent spate of Eurosceptic maneuvering in the UK is largely a symbolic activity - more political panto, like the arguments over the 50p tax rate. It will seek to channel anger into activities that ultimately do not pose any real challenge to the EU.
The lesson is simple. The EU cannot be reformed, reworked or remade, any more than the old Soviet block could be reformed from within. The EU needs to be destroyed. It's that simple.