Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Organic food - where's the evidence?

As a long-time consumer of organic food I was finally stung into looking for some evidence of positive health benefits by recently reading Bjorn Lomborg's excellent 'The Skeptical Environmentalist'. I took it as self-evident that organic food was healthier. And the benefits are touted everywhere by organic farming advocates and those interested in complementary medicine and nutrition.

So where's the evidence?

I admit I'm at a loss to find anything whatsoever. I've looked for scientific papers rather than simple assertions of 'fact'. I've looked at the Soil Association and other pro-organic bodies and groups. There's none. Lots of stuff against GM food, some stuff on benefits to the environment, but nothing on the benefits to human health.

I don't want to feel conned, I don't want to feel like I've been taken for a ride. If anybody knows of a credible paper on the benefits of organic eating then please post a reference or a link.

No comments: